Survival Instinct

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome. Come and discuss selected Role Playing Games with us. Primarily Dragon Age Origins, Dark Souls 2, The Elder Scrolls. General Discussion encouraged.

2 posters

Achievement

Maigrets
    Maigrets
    Admin

Achievement Empty Achievement

Post by Maigrets Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:25 am

So, in the time I was away and not keeping up with the forum etc, I managed to do something that could be considered an achievement.

I GAVE UP SMOKING!

It's only been 6 months (from the 1st week of October 2016) but one day I said "no more" and that was it.  I amazed myself really since in the many years I was a smoker it gave me the horrors to even think about quitting.   I tried halfheartedly a few times but never really gave it a concerted effort.   To say cigarettes were a crutch would be an understatement.

However, I don't feel any better health wise for having given up and to be perfectly candid the main, and probably only reason I did it was because of the exorbitant financial cost. I realize if I had done it many years ago I would probably be semi rich,   Razz  but the past is the past and can't be changed so there's no point in regrets.

I'll go as far as saying that if the price of a pack was reduced significantly I would probably never have given up because despite being an addiction, I enjoyed it.  I imagine that's not something the anti-smokers of the world would want to hear though.  

I'm not a great role model am I... Evil or Very Mad   But I never cared to be either.
    Ailsa

Achievement Empty Re: Achievement

Post by Ailsa Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:37 am

Congratulations I think Laughing

I have no plans to give up my roll-ups just yet I admit. I still enjoy my cigarettes though I do smoke a lot less than I used to. I have given up a few times for a year or so but have always gone back Very Happy
    Maigrets
    Maigrets
    Admin

Post by Maigrets Mon May 01, 2017 5:54 pm

Ailsa wrote:Congratulations I think  Laughing

I have no plans to give up my roll-ups just yet I admit.  I still enjoy my cigarettes though I do smoke a lot less than I used to.  I have given up a few times for a year or so but have always gone back Very Happy

It's a bit odd really.  I also used to be a manic chocoholic but the past couple of years I've lost the desire for chocolate (and sweets in general) and now go for more savoury things, like pickles and vinegary foods.  

Stopping smoking was a bit the same.  I just lost the desire, although like I said the cost was a consideration in keeping it going.  Otherwise I could just as easily start up again.

Also, nice to see someone else who doesn't feel guilty about something that gives them pleasure and isn't worried about saying so... Very Happy    So much of society today tries to make us feel guilty about one thing or another.  I think it's the cause of a lot of the world's many problems.  Less guilt, more actual fixing things would go a long way.
    Ailsa

Post by Ailsa Tue May 02, 2017 1:44 am

I so agree about "guilt tripping" I think that it a very destructive cultural behaviour that can seriously undermine people's self esteem. In many ways I feel that this so called information age is practically the opposite of what it should be. The amount of ignorance you can witness just walking around town to run errands appalls me at times.

On another note, I have joined a couple of sewing groups on the dreaded FB and have been delighted by how helpful and giving these communities can be, and I have been shocked to discover that I know a heck of a lot more about my craft than I realised Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 am