Survival Instinct

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome. Come and discuss selected Role Playing Games with us. Primarily Dragon Age Origins, Dark Souls 2, The Elder Scrolls. General Discussion encouraged.

3 posters

The Withcher 3 Wild Hunt

MasterAub
    MasterAub

The Withcher 3 Wild Hunt Empty The Withcher 3 Wild Hunt

Post by MasterAub Sat May 23, 2015 12:54 am

Hi everyone

Hope everything is alright with you and you loved ones.

On to the subject.

I bought the Witcher 3 Wild Hunt. I have not installed it yet, will do so next week and it will take one or two days to be installed (in my part of the world internet is not at its finest).
    I bought it full priced and for me it's a statement as I usually buy games on sales. But for the Witcher 3, I wanted to buy the game full price in order to support to the max CD Project Red (the Polish studio creator of the game).
    By the way already two dlcs are on steam for FREE. Those are armor dlcs but hey we all remember the horse armor dlc for 5$ from those gready B....(you choose lol! )
    I will let you know how the game is as soon as I get my hands on it but already the reviews are raving about it

Cheers
    Maigrets
    Maigrets
    Admin

The Withcher 3 Wild Hunt Empty Re: The Withcher 3 Wild Hunt

Post by Maigrets Sat May 23, 2015 3:52 am

Hope to see some screenshots when you start playing.  The Withcher 3 Wild Hunt 2431605846

I only wish my PC would be able to play the game, but sadly not.  Maybe one day...  At the moment I'm living it though a favourite Youtuber, and you of course if you would like to post about your adventures.

Yes, things went downhill after the Horse Armour thing.  Every other company caught the disease and it spread like wildfire.

CD Projekt gets, and deserves, major respect and a lot of other developers could learn a few things from them.
    ThePriest909
    ThePriest909

Post by ThePriest909 Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:00 am

I heard some comments about major bugs like "Witcher 3 mod reveals melting faces and detachable heads" but that wont stop me from getting the game. What stops me though is the crazy CPU requirements (I bet intel and m$ will make some good money out of this). In any case it looks great and as soon as I can afford an upgrade to my current i3 cpu I'll run on steam for it. MasterAub you should switch the Steam live streaming on for us Smile
    MasterAub
    MasterAub

Post by MasterAub Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:27 pm

Hi everyone.
    The download was over yesterday and so I could play. The version is 1.3 so apparently the patch was with the download.
    Coming back from work I launched the game and I played during an hour. As I never really played Witcher 1 and 2 I had to go through the tutorial. That took me around 15 to 20 minutes to complete. Not so much because of the length of the tutorial but more so because of the numerous cut scenes.

My first impressions

• As you know I am running the game with a fairly decent system. That means I was playing on ultra-setting. The game looks gorgeous, the attention to details makes you immerse in a very alive world. Every reviewer told you this already and it’s 100% true: the characters, the world, the animals the movements the dialogs the overall atmosphere, all that stuff is ACE! I am not a big fan of comparison but it’s probably the best I’ve seen in an RPG so far.

• The HUD is very “consolized” meaning there are bars everywhere (I'll have to look into options to see what can be toggle off) but that really was an immersion breaker for me. So for now the HUD is a big downside for me. But that could change if I can customize it to my liking.

• Another downside is the combat system and that is linked to the control. Don’t get me wrong Geralt moves very well in combat but the control you have over him and his movement can be approximative at times. In other words Geralt's moves are nicely done and good looking but not that reactive. It’s still very playable but for those like me who are into tactical combat, just forget about it. “The Witcher 3” is not about tactical combat the “Witcher 3” is about “dodge and slash”. I have not yet touched upon magic system, alchemy and crafting and I will get back to you on these.

My early conclusion

So overall and as an early review I would say that “The Witcher 3” seems like a good game. Its strength resides in its narrative mechanics and in a very well-crafted world.  The HUD needs major tweaks IMHO. The combat system due to approximate control over your character could use some improvement. Those are not deal breakers but with the little time I played I can’t say that the game hits a perfect score as you can see all over the internet. “The Witcher 3” is certainly not a bad game and probably a very good one but it’s not pristine IMHO because for me gameplay is the most important thing in an RPG. It might not be the review you were expected but bare in mind it’s a very early review and an honest one. I’ll post some screenies tonight or tomorrow.

To The Priest 909: I was not aware of the steam live streaming. If my poor connection allows it I'll do one for you guys and gals.
    Maigrets
    Maigrets
    Admin

Post by Maigrets Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:14 pm

Thanks for your impressions of the game MasterAub.   I hope you are still enjoying it and would like to see some screen shots of your experiences if you feel like adding some.

I imagine that the points you made about the HUD etc will probably be fixed since the devs are pretty good at listening to their players.   Even so, as you said, things like that are fairly minor in the grand scheme.   The combat system however would be a big issue for me if it wasn't as good as expected as it's an important part of a game that has a large focus on combat.

I have read that it's a hard game and challenging game which is a big plus with new releases these days.
    MasterAub
    MasterAub

Post by MasterAub Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:47 pm

Here are some screenies

before HUD tweak
    The Withcher 3 Wild Hunt <a href=The Withcher 3 Wild Hunt 2015-06-04_00004" />

after HUD tweak
    The Withcher 3 Wild Hunt <a href=The Withcher 3 Wild Hunt 2015-06-06_00002" />

Still it need improvement
    MasterAub
    MasterAub

Post by MasterAub Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:42 am

Another thing, the Witcher 3 is NOT open world. Don't believe any reviews that present the game as an open word game. It's simply NOT OPEN WORLD game. In Skyrim the map you have is the world you're in. Basically you can go from Riften to Markath without any loading screen. In the Witcher 3 you can't; you just can't and by the way the zones are relatively small. That's also a downside point and it is very frustrating as for me the main reason I bought the game was because of this open world premises with a map 2 or 3 times bigger than Skyrim. The Witcher 3 is still e very beautiful game but people who refere to it as OPEN WORLD are simply lying.
    Maigrets
    Maigrets
    Admin

Post by Maigrets Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:49 pm

MasterAub wrote:Another thing, the Witcher 3 is NOT open world. Don't believe any reviews that present the game as an open word game. It's simply NOT OPEN WORLD game. In Skyrim the map you have is the world you're in. Basically you can go from Riften to Markath without any loading screen. In the Witcher 3 you can't; you just can't and by the way the zones are relatively small. That's also a downside point and it is very frustrating as for me the main reason I bought the game was because of this open world premises with a map 2 or 3 times bigger than Skyrim. The Witcher 3 is still e very beautiful game but people who refere to it as OPEN WORLD are simply lying.

That's unfortunate.  So, the freedom to do anything or go anywhere you please is a lie...lol

There are several games that claim to be open world when they are clearly not.   Invisible walls are something I really, really hate, almost as much as loading screens into buildings.  Being able to see the next outdoor area but not go there is stupid design when a game claims to be totally open.  BUT, probably not as bad as not being able to jump six inches high to clear a step or hop over a fallen log.   Then there's climbing.....silent

The only games I know of that are truly open are Bethesda's games.   As buggy as they can be, they do satisfy the explorer in me.   I love finding things in out of the way places.  At the moment I'm playing through Fallout 3 again and thoroughly enjoying it. Over 100 hours so far.

Oh! I forgot....the great, in my opinion, Gothic games are open world, more so in Gothic 3. There may be others, but if there are they would be games that never interested me or I've forgotten about.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:43 pm