Survival Instinct

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome. Come and discuss selected Role Playing Games with us. Primarily Dragon Age Origins, Dark Souls 2, The Elder Scrolls. General Discussion encouraged.

2 posters

Sanctuary from insanity

Ailsa

Sanctuary from insanity Empty Sanctuary from insanity

Post by Ailsa Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:21 pm

Right now this seems the perfect place to spend time away from craziness that Steam/Valve has sparked off with their latest announcement about paying for Skyrim mods. The amount of vitriol spreading across the many Skyrim related forums is very unpleasant and I want no part of it just now.
    Maigrets
    Maigrets
    Admin

Sanctuary from insanity Empty Re: Sanctuary from insanity

Post by Maigrets Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:33 am

Yes, I'm not surprised it has become so toxic.   No  The news has spread to a lot of other sites and forums, so much so I stopped reading about it.   I believe there have even been death threats.   That's internet anonymity for you. Sanctuary from insanity 2129777071

I am thinking about an actual topic to discuss what people think about it, but I'm not going to create a Skyrim forum in the near future, if ever.  I don't have the heart for Skyrim anymore myself, or other of Bethesda's buggy games for that matter, and all this business has just soured me even more.  

A topic will just be in this General area and will be rational and just stating the facts as we know them.
    Ailsa

Post by Ailsa Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:48 am

It all seems totally irrational to me, as if people don't take the time to read the previous posts and just jump in feet first. I will not join a discussion without reading everything I can first Smile
    Maigrets
    Maigrets
    Admin

Post by Maigrets Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:44 pm

Looks like the drama is over, at least for the time being. Valve and Bethesda have removed the paid option due to the protests.

Bethesda has posted about how they wanted this to work and it sounds a lot better than what actually occurred. Pity they didn't communicate this to people beforehand. The backlash might have been much less or non existent.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/bethesda-responds-to-outrage-over-paid-skyrim-mods/
    Ailsa

Post by Ailsa Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:06 am

Now hopefully people (at least some) will regain some sense Razz
    Maigrets
    Maigrets
    Admin

Post by Maigrets Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:52 am

https://survivalinstinct.rpg-board.net/t45-skyrim-paid-mods-fiasco

You probably won't like some of the things I've said about the game itself, but it's how I've always felt about Skyrim and Bethesda games in general.  If it wasn't for modders I would never have played it again after losing my first ever vanilla character to corrupt saves.

Overall, I still prefer Oblivion.  At least I can fix any problems myself, or easily find out how to, and for me at least, Oblivion was more stable and interesting, even before mods.
    Ailsa

Post by Ailsa Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:48 am

To be brutally honest I wouldn't have continued playing either Oblivion or Skyrim for long without mods. My first Bethesda game was Morrowind and for me it was nearly perfect. The range of quests, their complexity and range of possible outcomes. I also liked the basic game world and the fact that you didn't have to be a specific type of character.

Oblivion was good but had less depth, and Skyrim has even less. I honestly feel that most game companies are steadily "dumbing down" each new game to appeal to the lowest common denominator and forgetting that a large proportion of the spending public have standards.
    Maigrets
    Maigrets
    Admin

Post by Maigrets Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:20 pm

I agree about Morrowind.  I replayed it recently and was again reminded of how everything went downhill in every game that came after.   People say MW was very buggy as well but I never actually experienced any of them.  I did however only start playing it back then after it was patched a couple of times so maybe that is a factor.

Too many games seem to focus on pretty graphics nowadays rather than actual interesting content. That's also the fault of many users who demand and care about amazing graphics more than interesting quests and quality content. You only have to see comments on other forums to know that...lol
    Ailsa

Post by Ailsa Fri May 01, 2015 12:07 am

So true - and so shallow Razz I appreciate good graphics but not at the cost of gameplay and questlines.
    Maigrets
    Maigrets
    Admin

Post by Maigrets Fri May 01, 2015 1:04 am

By the way I found out how to change the default size of posting text for everyone without having to manually change it every time one posts, as I've been doing, but it caused a problem I have been unable to solve, so I had to change it back.  I'll keep looking into since it does look better a little larger, but researching this stuff takes a lot of time when I haven't done this kind of thing before so it will have to wait.

I did manage to change the colour of my user name from blurry blue to orange which I've been wanting to do, so that's something...  study
    Ailsa

Post by Ailsa Tue May 05, 2015 2:28 am

I really like the orange - it works very well for your name Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:35 am