Survival Instinct

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome. Come and discuss selected Role Playing Games with us. Primarily Dragon Age Origins, Dark Souls 2, The Elder Scrolls. General Discussion encouraged.

2 posters

Bound By Flame

Maigrets
    Maigrets
    Admin

Bound By Flame Empty Bound By Flame

Post by Maigrets Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:10 pm

Since I have a soft spot for the underdog of game developers, or at least some of them, and as long as their game is reasonably interesting and stable, I often look for something new to play because  I'm a bit fussy when it comes to games.   For example I do not like Isometric games, turn based or strategy games, although it depends on the strategy game.  

Anyway, when I logged onto Steam a short while ago I saw this game for 75% off and was tempted to buy it.  
    Bound By Flame

I did the usual research first.  Completely discounting professional reviews because if a game is not AAA they automatically hate it, checked out actual user opinions and was surprised by the moderate reactions, watched a few videos and decided to buy it.   At 75% off normal price on a weekend sale I thought, well why not?

I haven't yet downloaded it as I am about to play Dragon Age:Origins for another lengthy session and my PC doesn't like downloading and playing at the same time, but I will be back tomorrow sometime to add a first impression and possibly screenshots.

As I type there are still  29.5 hours to go before the sale is over.  Bound By Flame 2431605846
    Maigrets
    Maigrets
    Admin

Bound By Flame Empty Re: Bound By Flame

Post by Maigrets Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:11 am

I've played a couple of hours so far and I am enjoying the game.  I will say I doubt I would pay full price for it having played, but at the discount it's definitely worth a try and a fun action rpg.   I think it's going to be fairly short, but that's fine.

The game was developed by Spiders, a small French team, and published by Focus Home Entertainment.  

Bound By Flame Cliffside_zpsakynfurz

For people who care a lot about graphics this isn't the game for you.  The graphics aren't terrible, but are very dated and the lighting is a bit odd, or it's the shadows.  I can't decide which.   I found it's better played with a gamepad and even then the combat takes some getting used to.  Combat is hands on which I like, but the controls are a bit tricky.  

Another point about the combat system is it's unnecessarily hard, and not in a good way, because of the mechanics which is disappointing.  It's functional and fast when you get used to the controls.   After all I managed to kill the first boss with no health potions and avoiding all the added enemies, especially archers.   Bound By Flame 2418090992   Took half a dozen tries though.  I was one ingredient short of being able to create a healing potion and had nowhere to get more.

The inventory and menu system is basic, but easy to manage and the game has a very good crafting system.  For example, you can change the blade and hilt of your sword or other weapon separately, and it's appearance changes, and the same applies to armour.  In fact I'd go out on a limb and say this is the best crafting system, and a few other details, that I've seen in a game.  

The voice acting is dodgy, a bit stilted and has profanity which is very out of place for the scenario.  I'm playing as a female and she sounds like an extra from a bad cop show and that's putting it mildly.   You can choose to name your character, but there's no point because throughout the game you will only be called Vulcan.  

Despite these criticisms I don't regret buying the game.  I believe in supporting the little companies and I'm one of the few who liked Two Worlds 1&2.  Shocked   Another big point in this games favour is it hasn't crashed or glitched and runs smoothly.     

Bound By Flame Ghosts_zpsje7fq11i

The player is forced into a situation where he/she is possessed by a demon of fire.  Depending on your actions and the choices you make the world will be altered in various ways.  That also includes the player character.  If you give in to the demon over the course of the game your appearance will change, and conversely if you fight the possession you will remain human.

Ritual that went very wrong
    Bound By Flame Ritual_zps9zwfmxuj

The demonic possession
    Bound By Flame Possession_zpsqgehhnlx

There are three endings I believe.  The story is cliche, but so are most rpg's these days.  It's hard to be original, but it's how you do it that matters.  There are companions with possibilities of romance, rivalry and/or friendship. So far I've only met one, a mage who is a healer which came in very handy.

Possessed
    Bound By Flame Possessed_zpsuww8ust7

Boss.  
    Bound By Flame Monster_zpsq2daebli

Ugly and hits hard.
    Bound By Flame Ugly_zpstcxhjsit

Dual wield in the swamp
    Bound By Flame Dual%20Wield_zpsgpdbvcut

Buffalo
    Bound By Flame Buffalo_zpskpoexugw
    MasterAub
    MasterAub

Post by MasterAub Sat May 23, 2015 1:03 am

The pictures don't look that bad. Graphics look better than Oblivion (my old time benchmark). If graphics are better than Oblivion then for me it's acceptable.
    Maigrets
    Maigrets
    Admin

Post by Maigrets Sat May 23, 2015 3:44 am

MasterAub wrote:The pictures don't look that bad. Graphics look better than Oblivion (my old time benchmark). If graphics are better than Oblivion then for me it's acceptable.

Actually, it's quite a good game for a small company. I regret to say that I haven't played since those screenshots...not because of the game itself, but I'm addicted to Dark Souls 2 and it takes all my spare time... Bound By Flame 1650537520 But I will get back to it one day.

There's another little rpg I purchased also by the game company called Mars:War Logs. It has a cyberpunk theme which I'm a fan of and the ratings are pretty fair. I haven't got around to downloading it yet though.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/232750/

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:45 pm